This creamy red pepper sauce is not only delicious, but it's also dairy-free! Roasted red pepper sauce is made with fresh vegetables, coconut cream, and nutrient-dense bone broth. It's the perfect pair for any pasta dish. This recipe was created by our friend, Tory over at Nourishing The Glow.
For the sauce:
- 10 red bell peppers
- 2/3 cup cashews, soaked for 30 minutes (or up to 3 hrs)
- 2/3 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1/4 cup Bonafide Provisions chicken bone broth
For the Turkey Sausage:
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp fennel
- 1/2 thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- Spiralized veggie noodles of choice, (Like CeCe's veggie noodles)
- Basil, optional for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees and place the oven rack on the top rack. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or foil.
- Cut the bell peppers into halves, removing the stems, seeds, and membranes.
- Place the peppers cut side down on to the baking sheet and bake for 15-25 minutes, or until the skins are dark and wilted. Remove from the oven and immediately transfer to a large plastic ziplock bag. Place in the fridge for 10-15 minutes to allow for the peppers to ‘sweat’ (this makes it easier to remove the skins).
- Now remove and discard the skins and place the peppers in a blender or food processor.
- Add the cashews, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon, and red pepper flakes to the blender. Pulse until smooth and well combined. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and garlic, breaking up the turkey with the back of a wooden spoon. Add all of the spices and cook for 4-5 minutes, until it’s no longer pink. Transfer to a plate.
- Transfer the sauce mixture into the same skillet. Heat over medium heat and add the coconut cream and bone broth. Continue to stir until the coconut cream melts. Transfer the turkey back in with the sauce. Now add the veggie noodles, tossing until well coated. Cook for 2-4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve hot with basil, pine nuts, and red pepper flakes.