This recipe is quick and healthy and is the easiest way to prepare a curry while on Whole30. This delicious curry recipe is a total game-changer and has a ton of flexibility as you can use any protein you have on hand. This recipe was made by our friend Tracey from Whole Daily Life.
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 tbsp ginger, minced
- 6 cups butternut squash, peeled & chopped
- 1 tbsp kitchari spice blend or curry paste (more to taste)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 can pumpkin purée
- 16oz Bonafide Provisions chicken bone broth
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 lb protein of choice (I used shrimp, but chicken would also be good!)
- 1 bag baby spinach, roughly chopped
- cooked cauliflower rice / white rice (omit for Whole30) for serving
- cilantro / green onion for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot (I used my Le Creuset dutch oven) over medium heat, then sauté the onion for 5-7 minutes until starting to soften. Add the garlic and ginger and cook 1-2 minutes more.
- At the same time, steam the butternut until fork-tender, then set aside.
- Add the curry, salt, and lime juice to the pot and stir to combine.
- Deglaze the pan with a bit of bone broth, then add the rest of the broth, pumpkin purée, and coconut milk. Bring it to a simmer.
- Add the protein and continue to simmer until cooked through about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach to wilt, then serve with cauliflower rice, optional white rice, and fresh herbs!